Saturday, September 3, 2011

Broken Glass



Broken Glass
To Lee Spangler

I saw the shattered light on broken glass
Reflected in your eyes when we were young,
Though you were still unborn
The night the glass was broken.
I could not name it in those vanished days--
Some of it, yes—but not all of it,
Yet I vowed to keep the flame alive,
To bear witness to what I could not name.

Now, having learned better how to translate
The unspoken knowledge of the heart--
More of it, yes—though never all of it,
Today I renew that vow
Looking north through the plate glass window
of a bakery on Highland Avenue.
It isn’t quiet here, but the background noise
Consoles me with its mundane normalcy:
The loud hum of the air conditioner,
The sound of the passing traffic
fifteen feet from the unbroken window.

At two degrees of separation
I recall the sound of the sledgehammers
Crashing through the plate glass windows,
And the stained glass windows as well.
Afterwards the sidewalks were covered with it:
Broken glass, broken glass,
Blood and broken glass—
As memory turns to foreknowledge
A cold shadow passes over me.

It seems so peaceful here, yet I remain on guard.
Beneath the growing avalanche of hatred,
I hear the staccato crack of breaking glass.
The day draws near when this false peace,
Brittle and fragile as any window
Whether of plate glass or stained glass
will lie shattered on the sidewalks of the world.

“Get over it!”  they say.
“How much longer will you Jews
Keep obsessing over your private tragedy?
Do you really think no other people
Has ever suffered genocide?
Time to move on,” they say.

Let them believe I’m picking at old scabs
Or getting paranoid over nothing; I don’t care.
It should be self-evident that the scars remain
After your heart has been pierced by broken glass,
Even at two degrees of separation.
But no matter what they think I’m saying
Or why they think I’m saying it,
The pain itself is beside the point.

And so we bear witness to what matters most:
That the echo of the sound of breaking glass
Spreads through the intricate web of love,
Past the boundaries of space and time,
Relentlessly out to infinity. And as it spreads,
It changes. Yes, I’m talking alchemy here--
Just so we’re clear on that.
This is our secret strength and hidden truth:
That empathy begins as shared grief,
but ends as shared knowledge.


© 2011 by Linda S. Sang

In one very significant way, this poem is very different from the two previous ones I’ve posted on this blog in the past. Both of those poems were written within a few weeks of each other over 25 years ago, in the spring of 1984 shortly after my sister’s death. This poem was started two days ago, in a bakery on Highland Avenue on Wednesday, August 31, 2011. I did the final revisions a few hours ago.

I went to the bakery with the intention of writing, but what I was planning to write was something very different from what I ended up bringing home with me. What I had in mind was prose, for one thing. Until Wednesday, I had not written any poetry for years and pretty much assumed I never would again. I started writing what I originally had in mind, but my heart just wasn’t in it and my mind kept wandering.

I had a folder with me containing some printouts of recent e-mails, and in an attempt to regain my focus I began reading them over. A response to one particular communication began shaping itself in my mind after I read it for the second or third time. To my total astonishment, instead of being a standard prose e-mail reply my response seemed to be trying to take the form of a poem. So I decided to let it go where it wanted. I grabbed a blank sheet of looseleaf paper just like I used to do in the old days, and followed my thoughts and feelings wherever they wanted to take me.

What is so amazing about this experience, once so commonplace in my life, is that I haven’t even tried to write a poem in years. That’s why the only poems posted on my blog are old ones—because there simply haven’t been any new ones. I have often wondered if I’d ever write another poem again in my life. This one didn’t come easily. I wrote three longhand drafts at the bakery over a period of about three hours. Fortunately, the owner of the place likes me and is more than happy to let me hang out there as long as I want to. Even though there are only two tables, I don’t recall that the other one was occupied the whole time I was there.

Although they got successively better, my handwritten drafts were sloppy, imprecise and out of focus--but then first drafts usually are. Fortunately, the notorious inner critic who plagues all writers didn’t get into the act too early in the game with her usual deflating put-downs. I felt that in spite of the amateurishness I had something worth pursuing. So I came home and transferred the poem to the computer.

I also made a point of checking out the Wikipedia entry for Kristallnacht as a precaution against any glaring errors of fact. If I had made any in my first drafts, I wanted to be sure I corrected them fairly early in the revision process. That involved another three drafts yesterday, plus a final one this afternoon. Wednesday night was the first time I’ve ever read a historical account of Kristallnacht, although of course I’ve read references to it in other works on WWII and the Holocaust. I was especially struck by one short paragraph:

The number of emigrating Jews surged as those who were able, left the country. In the ten months following Kristallnacht, more than 115,000 Jews emigrated from the Reich.[33] The majority went to other European countries, the US and Palestine.... As part of government policy, the Nazis seized houses, shops, and other property the émigrés left behind.
Among those 115,000 Jews who left Germany in 1938-39 in the 10 months following Kristallnacht were the parents of the beloved friend whose childhood memories were the inspiration for this poem.

8 comments:

Donald Traxler said...

Again, thank you for sharing this. I also found it helpful and well worthwhile to read your original commentary in this blog. Please write more poetry. We need it.

Raksha said...

Thank you, Donald. I'm sorry it took me over three years to reply, but as you may recall I was unable to post comments on your blog or any other blog and couldn't figure out why. I think I may have cleared up the problem last night when I edited this post to add the dedication.

I was informed by Google that there was an http/ https incompatibility problem, which I fixed. This is an old post which was originally posted in
http like all my others. If it works (and from here it certainly looks like it's going to) I'll be happy to post comments on your blog - after I read your poems, of course. I must owe you about least 100 of them!

Love and Light,
Linda (Raksha)

Donald Traxler said...

Ah, Linda, this is such a fine poem.We need your work--please resume!

I am no longer able, it seems, to write poems of this length, but I admire those who do.

Your voice is a powerful, clear, and precise one, and I don't think we can do without it.

--Don

Raksha said...

Thank you again, Donald. Your praise and encouragement are much appreciated and couldn't be more timely. I'm not going to say "I just might take you up on it" on because I definitely will take you up it, although I can't say exactly when.

A poem is whatever length it needs to be to say whatever you're trying to say in it. In this one I was trying to say several things at once, all of them important on their own levels. For a long time it was the prophetic aspect of it that stood out the most strongly for me when I read it over ("As memory turns to foreknowledge," etc.)

Note the date of publication: Sept. 3, 2011. Occupy Wall Street broke out about a month later, in October 2011. I don't recall the date of the first Occupy demonstration and encampment offhand, but it wouldn't be hard to find out.

That event marked the beginning of the long and difficult counterattack against the forces of crony capitalism, oligarchy and patriarchy which is still ongoing and is now coming to a head. So that sense of foreboding, of "coming events casting their shadow," turned out to be quite correct.

In recent weeks I have discovered another level of meaning in the last verse and the reference to alchemy, that I know I didn't consciously intend when I wrote it, but that seems to be perfectly clear now when I read it over.

It's true that I haven't written any poems, long or short, in quite some time, but that doesn't mean the well is dry. And I know how to prime the pump. The best way is to read the work of other poets, and to read my favorite poems over and over, even to the point where I have them memorized.

I have always been able to do that quite easily. It's what I used to do during my teen years in Redondo Beach, California, when poetry was my consolation for the painful social awkwardness and isolation I suffered during my childhood and early adolescence. It seems that every Swan has to spend a certain amount of time and as an Ugly Duckling. Due to circumstances I can't get into now, the Ugly Duckling period was longer and more painful for me than for children from more affluent families.

There seems to be no doubt that I am a Swan now, but I still tend to forget it on a regular basis. Even my outward appearance reverts to Ugly Duckling, and that is what the world sees. I can't thank you enough for your much-needed and timely reminder that that isn't in fact what I am.

Love and Light,
Linda

Dylan said...

Beautiful poem. Proud of you for putting this up and for working on a blog of your writing. Keep it up <3

Raksha said...

Thank you so much, Dylan! I'm so glad you finally read it--and commented on it. Most people don't leave comments, so the bloggers have to go by page views to know how many people are reading their posts.

Love, Mom

Unknown said...

I agree. Great poem, interesting perspective filled with emotion. It’s good to finally read your work after so many years. I’ve been a fan of your son and daughter’s writing for many years. It seems you have been quite the inspiration. 😀👍

Donald Traxler said...

Linda: I get new things out of the poem each time I read it. I would like to comment on the 1938 historical background, an event that took place before either of us was born. I first read about Kristallnacht in a work of fiction: André Schwarz-Bart's novel The Last of the Just. Reading about it affected me terribly. It wasn't a normal reaction. I've been in Germany a few times, and some places make me feel extremely uncomfortable, Hamburg being one of them. On some level, I am carrying Kristallnacht inside me. The prophetic parts of your poem are chilling, and a constant worry. What people don't realize is that the past is still alive among us. Thank you again for sharing your very powerful poem.